Photographers Edie Fogel and Misti Layne came together to create this blog and share their passion for film based photography. As we brain stormed about possible names for the site we came up with Film Impressions. The dictionary defines impressions as: an idea, feeling, or opinion about something or someone. Since the site would be a place for various photographers to come together, it seemed appropriate to have a name that honored their unique vision. During the process of making a photograph, that moment a photographer presses the button, becomes the defining moment. These moments become our impressions of how we see or interpret the world. It seemed to be indeed a great title choice for this blog dedicated to such a beautiful craft, film based photography and to the photographers who choose film as their medium. We hope this site will inspire you.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Surprises

by Misti Layne

I love surprises and some of the best are when I get proofs back from the lab and go through the images of the wedding that is now a blur in my mind. I've been shooting film since I was kid and typically know what I'm going to get when I snap the shot. But I never fail to get surprises that make me smile.

I love the deep tones and contrast of black and white film and usually use available light when I can or bounced flash. I'm pretty much self taught so I know the basic rules but like to break them. You know the ones-don't shoot into the sun, Sunny 16, Rules of Thirds, etc, etc. I guess because I haven't had them fully explained to me I just don't care to live by them and actually play with them.

So I recently got back some film and a couple of the shots just made me smile because first the bride was just a joy and you can see it on her face and second the play of light was just fun and cool and added to the element of getting ready which is also one of my favorite parts to shoot in a wedding. So here are my two fave latest "surprises".

No comments: